Friday, August 31, 2007

Sock A Month4 KAL socks

I have finished my first socks for a Knit A Long! I found this group on Ravelry, and I had to join, and I am so happy to be a part of it. Just as I expected, it has spurred me on to finish up this pair of socks before the end of the month, and I have a good start on my pair for September. (The rules are that you have to finish the pair during the month you post, so I won't be cheating by starting September's pair in August.) The August socks are knit in Sockotta yarn, in color 5618 on a #1 Addi Turbo needle, Magic Loop method. The pattern is Garter Rib from Sensational Knitted Socks by Charlene Schurch. I liked the yarn better than I thought I might, but I do think I like working with a higher wool content for socks.
The pictures of the socks could be better. I can't figure out how to turn off the flash on my camera, and I cut the top off one of the socks. Oops. They ARE the same length, and I was very pleased to have them match right down to the toe. One of the unique features about the socks in the Sensational Knitted Socks Book (at least it was new to me) is that many of the patterns have a garter selvage edge on the heel flap. This makes for very neat picking up of stitches for the gusset. If you enlarge the second picture with the side angle I think you can see better what I mean.
I haven't finished the felted clogs yet! I got sidetracked by the August socks, and then by the September socks. Once August was done I was drawn in by the possibilities of September's socks, and I had a picked up a beautiful plum-colored skein of Trekking XXL that had been just calling out to me. I HAD to answer the call!! I am working it in a chevron pattern from the same book. I have never used Trekking, never done a chevron pattern, AND I am using 5" wood Brittany needles. The shortness of them took a bit to get used to, and after making several pairs of socks with the Magic Loop method, it was an adjustment going back to the double points, but I do think I like the dp's just as well, and for a more patterned sock, I think they are definitely a necessity for me.
I will have more finished objects this weekend, I'm sure of it.

1 comment:

Karen said...

Your socks came out great, and your September ones sound like they are going to be fabulous too!! I've only used Trekking once, on my second ever pair of socks, but I loved it.